[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
ducatipaso.org • View topic - Replacing the valve collets
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 11:31 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Replacing the valve collets
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:13 am 

model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 2:26 am 

Yes, Max makes a good point. I have found that frequently the valve will be out of adjustment. But when I check the split-rings holding the closer shim in place, they are either flattened a little bit, and on one occasion, one of the split rings had broken in half. That can't be good! But it didn't cause any problems for me.

Fitting new split rings will frequently put everything back into tolerance, with no new shims.

So if you've got a valve out of adjustment, first thing to do is throw some new split rings in it. I believe Ducati says we're supposed to change them every valve adjustment, but I haven't.

I have no experience with the MBP collets, but know that Martin Brickwood is a man with a great deal of knowledge on Ducatis! He sells his own brand of Ducati head for the 748 called a TestaRosso, only $3000(!) but the power gains are tremendous, something like 20%!

The bike is gone, but the nightmares continue...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:03 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

year: 1987
the idea may be great, but what spent $ 125 for ?
They may save the valve clearance to go out of adjustment for a longer period of time, but they won`t prevent that you still have to check valve clearance periodically. You probably won`t have to "reshim" (if that word exists) for a longer period, that`s it.
Then the stock half rings don`t cost by far that much.
So I doubt that`s worth it, but that`s just my opinon.

Gerhard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 1:08 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

I put a set in my Monster a couple years ago. I actually had a problem getting the closing shim off one valve stem because the stem had 'mushroomed' around the half-rings - so that the shim wouldn't slide past divot in the stem. (Plenty of wet-sanding later, the shim was freed - but what a nuisance.) MBP's collets basically eliminate any tolerance margins between the shim and the valve stem - they fit a square profile (cross section) into a square hole, whereas the stock half-rings have a round cross section - so Martin basically changed the "round peg in a square hole" to something more appropriate.

Supposedly you can up your valve check interval from 6k to 18k with these collets. I still checked at 6k - just in case - an everything was I left it when I closed up the valve service 6k ago. But then - even at 30k, I hadn't adjusted the shims. So make of that what you will.

It's valve service time on the Paso now, and I'm planning to install MBP's collets in this bike too; I'm happy with them.

1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:58 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post subject: Re: Replacing the valve collets
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:59 am 

Guys,

I have to do valve adjustment. Has any one have anything to add to this discousion after two years ? I like to swap to MBP collets. :?

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:39 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

year: 1987

1994 Bimota DB2
1988 MegaPaso 916 project
1987 Ducati Paso 750
1985 Harley FXEF
2001 Ducati M900ie (wife's)
2000 Yamaha YZF-R1 (wife's)
1998 Ducati ST2 (wife's)
1994 Suzuki GSX-750R (wife's)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:34 am 

I replaced the stock half-rings with the MBP collets this spring. They fit almost perfectly, only taking up about .001" of closer clearance. If your closers are a little loose, the collets may help you by making the clearance a little tighter!

I can't report on the effect on valve clearance, as I haven't reached my next inspection interval yet, but there were no issues with installation, and everything seems fine so far.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:41 am 

model: 906 Paso
year: 1989
So if you order a set of collets for a Paso I take it you are ordering a set for a Pantah twin?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:23 pm