[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
ducatipaso.org • View topic - replacing & tensioning belts - food for thought - maybe
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: replacing & tensioning belts - food for thought - maybe
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:19 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post subject: Re: replacing & tensioning belts - food for thought - maybe
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:45 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

model: 906 Paso
year: 1990
All good stuff G , I read it from start to finish ,observed and understand the various methods to tension the belts and after thinkin about it all I have come to only one conclusion.................you need to get out more :D .
What I did for belt tension was to pull the cover off my Toyota MR2 engine and my ford Capri engine , set the tension with the spring loaded tensioners , felt about how tight the belt was ( very similar on both engines ) and then did the Paso about the same . The belt needs to be tight enough so its not flapping about and not so tight that its stretched . I think that as long as its about right its all good , problem is that you cant put "about right" in a tech publication so there needed to be some spec and , as you can see several people had a go at this in different ways . I would be stunned if there was a seat of the pants difference between 110hz and 140hz , like the belt wearing faster , or the associated bearings wearing faster , or even the bike going faster . I would think , being that the belt is toothed and doesn't rely on friction ( like a V belt ) to provide the drive it doesn't need to be as tight as you might 1st think .
G , your observations are interesting and do shed a bit of light on the subject , I hope others who have not changed their own belts will now have a go because it really aint rocket science :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:06 am 

year: 1989
Hi G,

To be honest, it scared me a bit reading this :wacko: but I have another question related to this topic: Which belt (brand and type) did you use? :?:
Contemporary timing belts should last longer than those of the 70-ties and 80-ties.
Need to change mine, so interesting to know which ones to order .....

Sure you did your math on those :thumbup:

Frank

Ducati Monster 796 abs - 2010

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:13 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

model: 906 Paso
year: 1990
Personally I'm fine with the allen key method. I have everything needed for the tuning programs but just never seem to have the time to give it a go. Spring tools wear out so never put much faith in them.

88 750
90 906
92 907ie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:08 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

Frank, I could tell you which belts I used but that wouldn`t help you. As you can see I have converted to round tooth belts & pulleys. The original ones have square teeth.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:25 am 

Thanks voor de information. It helps :thumbup: . The next time I'm working on the belts I'll be sure to double check. Until now I used the same allen key for used and new belts :mrgreen: .

Last edited by Brutus on Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:25 pm 

Hi G,

I know but are there different qualities from Dayco and Gates or do they have only 1 quality? :shock:
Also is Gates better or similar to the Dayco quality?
Why did you change the hexagonal teeth to rounded? :?:
Where do they come from (monster)?

Just interested to know if it makes sense to change them. :dunno:

Frank

Ducati Monster 796 abs - 2010

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:40 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

the belts I`m using are 73710051A which are for 600/695/750 ie/dark (68 teeth/reinforced). The main reason for changing the belts to round tooth ones was that I had adjustable round tooth cam pulleys and the engine was about to being rebuild so I only had to change the crankshaft pulleys. I had a shop do this. If I had known back then that one (!) of these belts would cost €47 while the original ones are €18-22 ea. I wouldn`t have done it and would have rather sold the adjustable pulleys and bought some for square teeth.
While I do think round toothed belts generally roll better over the pulleys than square toothed belts this or any quality aspect was not a reason for me to change them.
Gates, Dayco, Flennor, Conti imho it doesn`t make much difference as you chance them every two (or three) years anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:37 pm 

Nice writeup, covered everything.

I have only one thing to add. I use sonic tensioning on my 4v bikes. I tried several methods, none successful (simple things like fluorescent lights cause false readings with some programs). Tried several free iPhone apps, none worked well.

Then, I bought TE Tuner for the iPhone, $3.99, and that simply worked. Easy to use, no microphone needed. Just hold the microphone end of the iPhone in close, and pluck the belt.

I too use the 5mm allen wrench method for the 2v motors. But you've got to be careful. It's easy to "force" a 6mm, and think the belt is too loose. The 5mm should push thru fairly easily.

The bike is gone, but the nightmares continue...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:54 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

careful when using a phone. The frequency response of the built-in mic should be known. Many are not suitable unless you use a proper external microphone.
http://blog.faberacoustical.com/2009/io ... omparison/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:02 am 

Good job as always , thanks G. :thumbup:

paso 750
pantah 600 SL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:21 am 
paso grand pooh-bah