[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
ducatipaso.org • View topic - What is your Paso like?
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 9:05 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: What is your Paso like?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:55 pm 
Hey Guys, I thought it would be neat to hear what our Paso's are like. .Example , at standing starts does it wheely or smoke the tires how about 2nd gear wheelies? or maybe whats the exceleration like does ,it rev up like say a 900 ss "My friend has one"and what is the real top speed of the bike.I know we all have differant things done to our bikes. My bike has the Cobra cans ,90mm high commpression pistons, fuel regulator, wiring upgrade.New plugs,filters, New sprockets, clutch, which BCM says the bigger plates are only for spacing sake? On exceleration my bike stumbles alittle pulls a nice little wheelie then it just takes off and sounds good doing it. Top speed with the new 40 t rear sprocket is 110mph?.The old 38t I made 120mph But back winding roads I love the way it pulls through the corners and out. My bike is a Blue 88 750 and I smile every time I look at her :lick:

Theo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:16 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

model: 750 Paso
year: 1988
:cool:

Good question. My bike feels like it makes heaps of power, with DellOrto 36PHFs, and Zorst cans on the open setting. The cans also make a wonderful sound.

However, I rarely take it over 5000 rpm, usually changing up between 3 and 4 thousand, and what I like about it is the smoothness of its power. I put that down mostly to exact synchronisation of the carb slides and exactly 25mm chain slack. Any less chain slack and the smoothness starts to go. The exact slide synchronisation, which I do by watching one slide while feeling for movement of the other slide with a finger in that carb, also gives extreme responsiveness.

My gearchange is pretty good, with a reversed shift pattern (one up and four down) which I prefer. The clutch action is fine also - I had a mate, who is a BMW mechanic but has read all the Ducati factory servicing advisories because they used to sell Ducks too, put the clutch together with special care.

I've never tried to wheelie my bike - I'm scared I might hurt something, with her weight and long wheel base - but my front wheel comes up on of my routes, accelerating in first on a slight rise.

I've never been anywhere near her top speed - I'm more interested these days in power and smoothness.

Post subject: Whats your Paso like?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:10 am 
Skins, sounds like your Paso is dialed in great. Your responce gives me more food for thought.

Happy Riding :cool:
Theo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:20 pm 
Theo,
My other half rides the Paso (89-90 model), I just wield the spanners, and she reports an indicated top speed of 130mph (on private roads of course, officer). It's still on the standard 15-38 gearing .

It's a bit hesitant in the mid range since the Mikuni conversion but it still has the jetting the carbs came with (Texas 900SS-FE spec) which might be a bit restrictive for the UK. I'm also still using the Paso fuel pump without regulator and am thinking of switching to a Monster pump.

Regards,

Steve.

Post subject: Whats your paso like?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:10 pm 
Thanks Steve, 130 must feel pretty neat. I have stock carbs but the bike feels like its going faster then the speedometer says if that makes sense. It pulls hard from the start with a little hesatation ,wants past first it moves quickly,but past 95 it still pulls but the odometer says otherwise . Maybe the jettings off on mine?

Thanks for the reply
Theo :thumbup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:48 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

model: 750 Paso
year: 1988
Theo, I have a blue '88 myself, and the only real modification (in terms of performance) is a different set of jets in the Weber than the stock configuration. I've heard it referred to as the 'Canadian Spec' jetting, but there really wasn't any such animal that I know of; suffice to say the 4500rpm hesitation has been replaced by a tendancy to try & flood out at small throttle openings in hot weather. However, it just loves WOT ... :D

Otherwise, I've seen an indicated ~130mph on mine, which I'd guess to be around 120mph true speed (Ducati speedos are notoriously positive in their readings). We enjoyed it very much, thank you. In general though, when away from the cities and into the open roads, our comfortable cruising altitude is around 80mph, where we still have the ability to drop to a tuck and whack it up to triple digits, or just casually tool along. We have seen the dark side of the tachometer, you bet. ;) It's more fun than humans should be allowed to have, straight up to 9k. :D

I'm not one for wheelies or stunts, but I certainly enjoy driving fast, and driving fast well - that's the real challenge, to me. That's where my thrill comes from. Smoothness, consistency, confidence ... all while on the power.

There's a big difference in pushing the Paso compared to my Monster along my favorite bit insanity (route 13, Chittenango to Cazenovia, NY) though. The Monster's (a '97 m750) brakes are more responsive, and they have less tendancy to try & stand the bike up when you get on them in a corner; the carb is better sorted, too. But the Monster's seat isn't as comfortable, and the position is quite different.

On the Paso, I like the stability of the 16" tires, and I enjoy muscling it through turns and chicances. There's one chicane in particular that goes up & over a small rise, with a switch in camber along with the curve itself - and even though the two bikes are maybe 30lbs apart, factor in the riding position and my confidence is higher on the Paso than on the Monster when it comes to flinging through that section. Something about being attached to the bike versus being part of the bike.

At that: the required change in positioning when it comes to barreling through turns on either bike: sometimes the Monster feels like riding a charging bull - maybe it's the handlebar unit, which has just been replaced with clip-ons, and is yet to be tested - but on the Paso, I feel like we're charging as one through the turns. More unified, I guess.

And although the Monster rides sweeter, due to the carb/airbox/exhaust arrangement, it doesn't make me discount the Paso at all. If anything, it makes me want to straighten it out - because I know what it is capable of achieving. And that's what I intend to do - with a little from my friends here on the board. :thumbup: I plan to put jonslocum's wiring upgrade to work as well as put jfiore's Weber enhancements to the test, probably over the coming winter (don't want to miss any riding days!).

1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:31 pm 
although full registered,licensed and insured i still only have a few hundred miles on this '92 907 i.e. i did ride a different bike to work every day as they all deserve to be exorcised some.
this bike was sorted and chipped by the p.o. and he did a splendid job. the 907 with fuel injection has no flat spots whatssoever and pulls cleanly from takeoff although it is best to pull from above 3 grand.
i haven't done,nor do i intend to do any burnout or wheelies as i'm afraid for myself and the bike. i do grab some throttle and run thru the gears but see no need to ring it's neck so redline is nowhere near to be seen.
love the bike and hope to use it more but would like some decent luggage of some sorts on it so it can be more of a user-friendly for the trip to work and rainy days ( don't enjoy being caught without raingear when not wearing it). have seeen the ton and then some all to easily but have no desire to risk license and life at this stage of my life,sometimes just moving hurts without having any injuries!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:34 pm 
Now i know why your called fasterdammit! :cool:
Thanks for the long reply "Worth reading over and over" Your responce gets me more excited about getting my Paso back to or better than A#1. I have to go out now and give my bike a big hug.

Theo :laugh:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:47 pm 

Post subject: What is your paso like?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:38 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:17 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post subject: To Theo and Redpaso
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:16 am