It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Paint Color Ducati Red 750 Paso 1987
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:56 pm 

model: 750 Paso
year: 1987
Paint Color Red – Ducati 750 Paso 1987

After 28 years or ownership for my red 1987 Paso 750 I experience major cracking of the fiberglass front cowling where it meets the fuel tank at the point of the well nut fastener. I was forced to make repairs. I those JB weld for this repair, once completed it requiring sanding, compounding and then repainting.

I went to a paint supply shop Mac Donald in Torrington Connecticut USA which has a paint scanner. The technician at Mac Donald scanned my existing cowling, creating a shaker spray can which I then used to repaint a small fist sized portion of the left wing of the fairing.

For all 28 years, I have kept the Paso garaged and covered with a blanket when it’s not in use. Although red paint can fade easily, I do not believe there is any noticeable fading.

The basecoat paint is CROMAX brand Axalta Coating Systems LLC, (formerly DuPont).
We started with Coca Cola, Coke Red 2000, Chromabase BC-544862-KH then “adjusted” to the input values shown below:
• 850 J – 24.5/24.5
• 846 J – 1.3/1.3
• 801 J – 0/0 - not used
• 807 J – 0/0 - not used
• 150K – 88.1/58.2
• 175K – 110.4/22.2

Once your red basecoat is done, you will need a clear top coat which is also available in a shaker spray can. I hope this information is helpful to others that may need to match the Ducati red paint.