It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 12:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: New member removing clutch bearing.
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:33 pm 

model: Pantah
year: 1987
Hi All,
I'm a new member who has followed this site for years.
I don't have a Paso but I bought a left over 87 Alazzurra back in 1990 and still own it. I tried to find a Paso for a project but I couldn't find anything and bought an old monster. One day I'll find an unloved Paso.

Anyway the clutch throw out bearing on my Alazzurra failed so I JB welded a 3/8'' ? stud into the bearing and let it set over night. I put pushed some greasy paper into the bottom of the bearing hole first so I didn't glue the bearing to the piston.
I put a 25mm socket, a washer and nut onto the stud and when tightened the bearing pulled out easily.
It was kind of anticlimactic actually.
Off to the Skate Shop this morning.
I don't have a press. Do you think it will tap in with a socket if I freeze the bearing and heat the clutch cover a little?

Thanks for letting me join your forum. I find the genuine willingness to help and total lack of one upmanship on this site to be unique.
I apologize if someone has already posted this solution, I looked but didn't see it.

Jack

Post subject: Re: New member removing clutch bearing.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:55 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

model: 750 Paso
year: 1987
Hi Jack,

interesting info, thanks. I wouldn`t have believed it was possible to remove the bearing this way.
I guess you`ve got the new bearing installed by now. Putting the bearing in the freezer and heating up the piston (not the cover) is a good way to install it. This way you can tap it in carefully. A socket will work. I keep a collection of old outer bearing races for this.
If the bearing doesn`t slip in easily it`s better to use a press or bench vise.