[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
ducatipaso.org • View topic - Michelin Tires (again)
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 11:11 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Michelin Tires (again)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:08 pm 
I know that this is a sore subject, but I just wanted to let everyone know that I have had no trouble at all purchasing the Michelin A59s and M59s from http://www.mawonline.com Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse. They arrived in 5 days. I've seen a lot of action on the Yahoo list about converting to 17" tires. It is possible that we will be faced with this someday and there seem to be quite a few benefits to going this route, but as long as we continue to purchase the "correct tires" the manufacturer will make them and the distributors will take our money. Actually, I found them to be quite reasonable cost wise.
Doug

Post subject: A dissenting opinion...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:20 am 

Yes, but the 59 is not exactly cutting edge rubber, eh? I wasn't impressed w/them 15 years ago, certainly not impressed now... Wouldn't it be great if Michelin offered more than one compound for Pasos? They don't, so I'm going to switch to 17's this fall.

Unfortunately, just like everything else in cyberspace, everybody's got an opinion on mounting 17" rubber, but the specifics are seriously lacking. "I heard this one guy whose brother's cousin put 250 series tires, and they fit..." Lotsa rumors and speculation, but no details. or anyone even telling what they've tried. Worked or didn't work? Either way is helpful!

I need specifics! what year bike rims? What width rubber? What exact model # brake rotor? How about a pic of the new caliper mount?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:56 pm 
Del,
I know my next few comments will get some tongues wagging, but I wanted to post the Classic Bike message before I answered your message. It should be right above this one. I just purchased a nice book titled "Cycle World on Ducati 1982-1991" In it the 750 Paso is mentioned quite favorably several times with very nice road tests. Note this book did not come in color. I was disappointed in that.
Anyway, even early on the carb problem hampered these bikes and probably gave them the bad rap that they deserved because of it. I have Mikunis on mine and they have made the bike a joy to ride.
Since our bikes are now being bandied about in "Classic Bike" and being mentioned as " bike ready for Classic Status" we should take stock of a few things: First these bikes were no match for the Jap bikes at the time mainly because of the Weber, had they solved this problem right away, they would probably be worth more today and Ducati probably would have sold more of them then. I'm sure under the right conditions (twisty roads) my bike as it is running now would hold it's own with of the bikes of the era. You can tell that the testers at Cycle World wanted badly to choose the Paso over the Jap bikes, but held back because of the carb glitches.
Should we change to 17" wheels? Only if you keep the originals. Why? If it is a "Classic Bike" We'll want to keep as much of the OEM equipment as possible. This will only enhance the value.

Question: Do you really push your Paso to the point that the newest rubber is required? My initial reply to this is that these bikes are nearing 20 years old. If you are a racer, a track guy or a person that rips back roads, a newer model Duck should be on your radar instead of laying down a bike that is getting tougher and tougher to get body work for. I am sure that I might sound like and old man, but I'm not. Just thinking ahead. I am considering a newer model Duc myself, so that I don't have to worry about doing something to the Paso. If you look at E-bay, check some of the prices that other Ducatis made in this era are starting to command. Elephants for $5K, 851s over $10K. Our bikes may start moving up.
Just my thoughts....
Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:39 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

Doug, i WANT drive my 750 Paso very fastly in twisty roads, like i do also with my 907IE and i have near everything now ready for 17" conversion, WHAT I DONT DO EARLIER, than they stop making Michelins, but i want to be well prepared for conversion. It also makes 750 Paso to handling much better, like 907 does. I know also very well, that 16" wheels fit to Paso body better(look nicer), cause "PASO" was designed to use 16" wheels. Anyway, i dont care "too much" to keep Paso "very original", cause there are many bad things in 750 Paso, what SURELY are quite easy to fix.... :thumbup: AND Paso 750 never come such bike, that EVERYBODY wants to own it! I want tell now, what I AM thinking about this "case" and its only my opinion. Anyway I LOVE Pasos VERY MUCH and i want to modifie they CAREFULLY, that they look MORE nicer, than original, but surely must be very careful and think many times, what is "good looking" and what dont fit to Paso... :evil:

Paso 907IE -91 red/metal grey
Paso 907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:45 pm 

I agree with Antti! It is unlikely that I will run a Paso 10/10ths down a mountain road, but it's nice to have a little extra traction, a little extra lean, in reserve. I also have a pile of 120 and 180 x 17" DOT race take-offs, as well as some slicks! So for me it makes economic sense. A used set of rims is almost undoubtedly cheaper than new rubber...

While I don't want to butcher my Paso, I believe careful mods that are reversible take away nothing, and even add to the value of a bike. Nobody ever turns down a bike because it had an Ohlins shock on it, and not a Showa, do they?

Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:25 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

I have also Öhlins(both 750 Paso and ST4S) :D I can say, that swedish can do "something" quite well :funny:

Paso 907IE -91 red/metal grey
Paso 907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:03 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

model: 750 Paso
year: 1988
Doug I understand where you're coming from with being on the safer side of riding a Paso; but like Antti & delagem - part of the joy (for me) in riding a motorcycle is testing its limits. I don't ride my Paso as hard as I ride my Monster, but it does get put through its paces.

When I watch ebay and see how much various bits & pieces go for, it does make me cringe, but then again ... I think I would feel worse if I just babied it through life. It is 18 years old, parts ain't cheap or even easy to find, but I'd rather ride the hell out of it and have to fix something than baby it and let it atrophe. It might be a bigger repair bill, but there'll be big memories to go along with it! :)

Although in regards to using the 'dated' tire option, it is giving me an appreciation for riding an "approaching-classic-status" bike. It doesn't handle like a new litre bike, it doesn't have gobs of raw unusable power or the latest & greatest componentry. It steers heavy and likes to stand up on the binders. The stock carb needs a lot of work. Things you don't find on current machines, sure, but that's what new owners dealt with back in the day.

I don't know if I'll switch to 17s before the day comes that I absolutely have to, because I sort of like the work out and the character is different. I'm sure I would enjoy it even more with updated componentry, but that's half the fun of riding an older bike ...

1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750