[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
ducatipaso.org • View topic - Cylinder & Head disks?
It is currently Sat Jun 01, 2024 5:44 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Cylinder & Head disks?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:28 pm 

model: 750 Sport
year: 1990
Hello all,

What are the little black disks between the head and cylinder fins? I am assuming they provide some vibration dampening effect for the fins?

I have noticed that some of these disks are loose and after bead blasting the cylinders and heads want to know how to re-attach these disks so they will not fall out.

Any ideas would be most helpful.

Cheers

Joe

My Ducati Blog site
http://projectducati.blogspot.com/

Stupidity is not a crime, your are free to go ;-)

Post subject: Re: Cylinder & Head disks?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:10 pm 

year: 1988
Hi Joe
your mail made me smile cause it was only this weekend I found a box in my cupboard in the garage (looking for the rev & speedo cables) and there were all these rubber discs which i had completely forgotten about. I then spent the next hour or so deciding if I should put them back or not. I took all mine out when I stripped the heads and cyl barrells. I think they must have been for noise reduction or vibration dampning? At this stage I'm not going to put them back unless I hear a very good reason too.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:19 pm 

Great minds think alike. I have been pondering the same reason of thought.

Cheers

Joe

My Ducati Blog site

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:26 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

model: 750 Paso
That's all the are for, vibes and noise. I doubt you can tell the diff in or out.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:45 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

They were added by many manufacturers to pass sound regulations. They are rubber, and like all things rubber, they age, especially with heat and time. So now, they are probably like little rocks, or at least compared to what they were like new. Sound deadening requires the material to have some good mass, and some elasticity. Silicone doesn't work as good as rubber does, unless its got a filler of talc or some other mineral. But now that they are aged, their effectiveness has probably long since passed. If you really feel the need, add a touch of silicone to them when re-installing to hold them in place.

As soon as you changed your pipes and carbs, and opened up the clutch housing, the sound from the finning was a distant whisper. Their purpose in life is now moot.

Cheers,

2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:25 am 

thanks for the confirmation DITB.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:17 am 

Thanks Phil,

Joe

My Ducati Blog site

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:36 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

model: 906 Paso
The reduction in weight couldnt hurt accelleration :P :lol: