[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
ducatipaso.org • View topic - 1990 906 Paso (Rescued from a Friend)
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 1990 906 Paso (Rescued from a Friend)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:02 pm 
After a very long negotiation, I was finally able to rescue this bike from a friend.

It is not my intention to get it back on the road immediately, but to tear her down and take my time and make everything work properly and do justice to this beautiful ITALIAN machine

I have nicknamed her "Rescu" as that's what it feels like. This bike has been sitting outside for the past 3 years and I could not handle it anymore.
With Help we loaded her up on the trailer (with her Flat tires, No clutch, Missing Signal, No brakes, rusted Calipers, etc) Friday night and hauled her back to Rocky Mount.

Welcome baby, this will be your new home for a while.

The turn signals were so lonely they started to droop

Next week I will start tearing off all the Plastic and making a parts list of items needed.
Looking to rebuild the Carbs and brakes.
Rebuilding cracked panels and possibly repainting.
Everything will need a good cleaning, degreasing and a thorough rust removal.
Will need to get a few Gallons of WD-40, Carb cleaner and plenty of degreaser.

As I recently lost my job, this will be a slow rebuild, as I have no $$$ But plenty of time.

Let the fun begin !!!!!!!!! :choo:

Post subject: Re: 1990 906 Paso (Rescued from a Friend)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:39 pm 

model: 906 Paso
year: 1989
Good effort mate - keep posting photos as the dissembly begins!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:45 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

year: 1990
Welcome to paso ownership . I love my paso and will never sell it , in fact I would buy another.... one day

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:15 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991
Good save. :thumbup:

Post your troubles here & we`ll help you. :)

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:19 am 
Here are some images as the Tear down starts.
What I am finding is lots of surface rust, dirt and grime gallore..

So every piece is carefully removed, Degreased, scrubbed and soaked in WD-40 if needed.
Bagging and tagging all bolts and small parts. Will go back later and make a list of new bolts needed Etc.

All the panels were degreased on the inside. Scrubbed down with Paint Thinner and 0000 Steel Wool.
Minor damages will need some attention.

Parts removal cleaning area (inside)

Lettn em soak.

Gonna paint em black.

Naked rear end.

So far the list of items needed start as.
Right side mirror
Front sprocket and chain
1 pc rubber for foot peg.
Tires

What a fun project :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:58 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

model: 750 Sport
You have way too big of garage, and not near enough bikes in it.
But you are doing a fine job of filling it up. It will be a very satisfying project.

Cheers,

2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:16 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

year: 1992
Welcome on the forum.
First, I'm greetly saddened for your job. This is an awful period.
I'd bring no more a single €./$. to any bank....

You're making a great work. Your 906 will come back to its former glory.
You will not have too much problems to find a mirror, but you will have many problems with the tires :,( :,( :,( :,( .
Good luck :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:20 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

While you are going this far, don't forget the:
- headset bearings
- Swingarm bearings
- add some dielectric grease to all the electrical connectors.
- Add some relays for the headlights, and possibly also the coils.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:17 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

gumbotz , your paso looks a bit like mine at the moment, body work all off. One thing that I found very helpful is some sort of bench / table to get the bike up off the floor a couple of feet , makes life easier ( I made mine out of a piece of our fence )

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:13 pm 
The fun continues. Slowly tearing her down. Very DIRTY, lots of cleaning and scrubbing.

Sprockets got cleaned. Yes will need replacing.

Has Chain damages..

Next the exhaust. I thought this may be a Bitch due to the rust, but came off rather easily.

I cant remember what this was from.???? ( I normally bag and tag everything.)

I want to paint the exhaust cans BLACK, need to research what will work and
replace the clamps with BLACK ones if possible.

Rear shock needs to be replaced.

Using lots of WD-40, Carb cleaner and RAGS !!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:34 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

year: 1992

Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:46 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

Your mystery part is a clamp for the brake or clutch master cylinder that has an added boss for a mirror. Not from the original bike, but used on Monsters and other bikes with mirrors attached to the bars. The previous owner may have replaced one of the master cylinders and found one from a Monster.

Your sprockets don't look too worn, but if they have lots of miles on them, and the chain is also shot, replace the entire set.

I agree with the WD40 comment. For a job like this, I usually spray everything with WD40, then follow with a spray of Simple Green a couple of hours later and hose it all down. Gets a huge amount of crud and crust out of the way before you even start. If you haven't discovered it yet, buy WD40 by the gallon can (~$15) and buy their pump sprayer. Lots cheaper than aerosol cans, and much more control in application.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:36 pm 
Thanks I figured out what it was when I decided to organize some parts a bit..

Been buying WD-40 by the Gallon $12, and Spray bottle. Does save allot of time and $$.
Will try Simple Green as a Degreaser. Getting tired of scrubbing :wacko:

The exhaust cleaned up farely well. Will Heat paint it in the spring when it warms up.

Figured on replacing both sprokets since the chain is toast. It's so RUSTY I wouldn't even attempt
a cleaning.
Had 1 stripped bolt on the rear disc. A 5.5mm Hex hammered in worked really well to remove it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:37 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:38 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

model: 750 Paso
year: 1987