[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
ducatipaso.org • View topic - paso rear shock
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:04 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: paso rear shock
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:11 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

model: 906 Paso
year: 1990
Since I have totaled my 900ss ( taken out buy a old guy in a car ) , I have bought the wreak back with a view of getting anything that will fit onto the paso. Both the 17 inch wheels were stuffed ( luck ) and I have found that even tho the forks and tripple clamps did fit , they are to short ( someone here has already tried to tell me that ) I was wondering about the rear shock , Can anyone tell me if the showa of the ss will fit the paso ( duo shock ) , I geuss it comes down to length but at the mo I cant physically get to the paso to see for myself ( wheelchair ). I have kept the motor assembly , brakes and the switches and exhausts . the local ducati man has a pair of FCR's ( not sure what size ) that he is willing to do a trade on for my leftover parts and I just thought that if that shock fits I should probly keep it.
I will fit the mikuni's onto the paso but the plan is to hot up the ss motor and fit to the paso , along with the ss brakes and some 17 inch wheels.
any hot tips welcome and I will post progress pix if anyone is interested
PS I was pissed off those USD forks wouldnt fit :mad:

Post subject: Re: paso rear shock
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:41 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

model: 750 Paso
year: 1987
no, the shock is too short. The swingarm and linkage of the SS is totally different. The SS has a rail on the upper side of the swingarm where the shock is mounted to diagonally. The Paso has the swingarm linkage below the swingarm, the shock stands vertically and is therefore longer.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:51 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

To short huh ( bugger )I knew the two rear suspension systems are totally different , but the length is critical. Thanks for the info

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:14 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991
Paso 750-906-907 shocks are 360-365mm.

Not so sure an aircooled 900SS engine works good on a 906.
What`s wrong w the 906 engine?

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:26 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

year: 1992
I'm sure an engine of a SS would fit on 906 without any problem.
But, the liquid cooled 904 engine is a better one, so I'd try to repair it.
Ciao

Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:04 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

The front engine mount to the cylinder uses a smaller bolt on the SS so you need to enlarge the mounting hole on the cylinder and the swingarm won`t fit either as you`ll have to machine the engine cases a bit to fit the Paso swingarm.

G.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:04 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

There is nothing wrong with the paso motor , needs the valve guides done soon and the clutch slave cyl piston is giving me grief but apart from that it just hasnt been used since I got the SS , mostly cos it needs painted . The plan was to paint the paso , ride it , and do up the SS motor ( 95 mm pistons , fcr's , a bit of port work and poss some new coils ) and then put it in the paso and fix the paso motor . Problem is , I also have a 850 t Guzzi which is only needing registered and warranted , Oh yeah the other problem is that the Mrs has just twigged to the fact that the Guzzi is going and that her recently mangled other half is about to re launch his motorcycle assisted death wish :wacko: . Im just waiting till the quack sez the bone grafts are up to taking a bit of weight ( not that there is much of that left ...... Ive lost 40 kilo's what with diabetes and 3 months in hospital )
I believe that the air cooled SS donk will work well in the paso with the right oil cooler ( both SS ones were damaged ) , but this crank case machining ( totally un forseen ) thing was good to have prior warning, what needs done ?.
I will probly try to fashion a new dash to use the SS gauges ( specially the oil press ) and I think I will try to duplicate the SS wiring harness sinse I have done some remedial work on it. Dunno if the SS air box will fit on the paso , to suit the fcr's .
Should I split the fcr's or use the SS manifolds and air box with the carbs joined?
Apart from the water cooling , are there other reasons why the paso motor is a better bet . I liked the SS motor better but really only coz of the carbs and ignition and the clutch. I did think of swapping parts, fly wheels , ignition,LH outer case but I would still be stuck with the paso clutch (unless I started swapping gearbox internals and I cant be arsed with that.)........... unless I can find a better clutch slave piston assy :banghead:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:40 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

year: 1992
First, I hope your healt is good now.
If I was you, I'd fix the 906's engine.
A liquid cooled engine has a steadier behaviour.
No matter, those 900 engines are very similar except for the cooling system.
Ciao

Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:11 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

the SS airbox won`t fit as tank and frame are shaped differently, no chance.
Regarding carbs it`s normally said single carbs are better because you can use different inlet manifolds (ie shorter ones to shift torque to a higher rpm range). Are these Keihin FCRs or just original Mikunis from a newer Duc model ? If it`s the later you should not try to split them.
What`s bad about the Paso clutch ?

G.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:00 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:34 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

I have a set of mikuni's off the SS which I had intended to fit on the paso( while I found the money to do up the SS motor ) using the SS manifolds , and I now know ( thanks Tamburinifan ) that seperate k&n's are the way to go .Sinse the paso is only ever going to be used on the road I'll probly continue to use the SS manifolds with the FCR's , but Im sure I could make a set of seperate manifolds ( a bent bit of pipe with a flange on one end..... how hard can it be ? Kiwi ingenuity is a wonderful thing .I could probly make these with an old beer can , a bit of fence wire and a gumboot :lol: :P ) I have done a deal involving swapping some unwanted SS parts for these FCR's ( dunno if they are 41's or 39's ). Starting to think I might put the SS motor in the paso and tweak the paso motor to gain the benefits of water cooling ( and hope the digiplex continues to behave ).My clutch slave piston is shot , I have replaced the ball berrings but the races were pitted , also the cylinder in the clutch cover is worn and needs to be sleeved and to be honest I had no intention of doing anything untill I have figured out how to make a new piston assy and pressure plate ( rebuilt with welder twice now ) . I saw , in an aussie mag (circa 95) someone selling a much better designed piston assy but they have sinse dissappeared
Thanks for your input people , I will rattle these idea's around for a bit ( I tend to f--- about as much as I go on ! :dunno: ) and come up with something good

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:59 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

However your project turns out,
I appreciacte the spirit! :thumbup: :lol:

I would think twice about the Kiwi any pipe manifolds, though.... ;)

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:01 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:49 am 
paso grand pooh-bah