[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
ducatipaso.org • View topic - Cam Timing
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 3:49 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cam Timing
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:40 am 

model: 906 Paso
year: 1989
romus
It's great to here you got the job done. :thumbup: I appreciate your feedback and kind words. I rode with the cams at 106 deg for a few weeks and I was happy with how the bike was running and, like you, I found the bike was great around town. It also performed well on the open road,160kmh was what I took it up to and it felt smooth all the way, no sign of pinging. I changed the timing to 110 deg a couple of weeks ago. So far the only noticeable difference is at the higher end rpm, above 6500rpm. The weather is starting to turn colder so the desire to go for rides is fading.I want to try the timing at 114 deg before winter gets here, but I would be happy to set it back at 106 deg,to be cont.........

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:56 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

year: 1990

88 750
90 906
92 907ie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:58 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

Ken
Your impressions on the different cam timings would make a nice addition to your Timing doc :thumbup:

88 750
90 906
92 907ie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:42 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:59 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

model: 750 Paso
year: 1987
Hi,

a friend of mine is prepairing to optimize his ignition. He would like to correct the ignition timing of the rear cylinder also to improve the engine`s smoothness (which is only possible with some modification). Appearently the ignition timing of the rear cylinder is by 2° less advanced than the front cylinder to reduce thermal load. The pick up bracket seems to indicate this, too. The strange thing is that noone, incl. some Ducati mechanics seem to know about this.
Anyone out there know something ?

G.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:02 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

Hey G
Seems to me I remember an article at a tech site about fixing this. I'll take a look tonight to see if I can find it again :thumbup:
If I remember it was an Italian site with a guy using the modified Two plug heads in his cart

88 750
90 906
92 907ie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:47 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

higgy, if you find it let me know :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:05 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

Still looking G :banghead:

88 750
90 906
92 907ie

Post subject: Re: Ignition Timing
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:14 pm 

Post subject: Re: Ignition Timing
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:21 am 

model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:27 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

It`s not a mistake that has to be fixed. The engine should run smoother when removing this though. The question is how much thermal load will change.
Some random thoughts: if the timing is not set correctly the rear cylinder may be more than 2° off. Causing the engine to run rough. Some guys report that the engine runs better when the carbs are not perfectly synchronized but adjusted slightly towards the rear cylinder.
A friend measured the degree marks on the flywheel and they are accurate. Hence due to one pickup being 2° off the marks on pick-ups and flywheel don`t perfectly match. Only one mark can. So how do shops adjust the pick up (bracket) ? Considering that noone asked knew about this they probably set the pickup bracket to the "middle" meaning they try to match front and rear marks which in the end causes both cylinders to be more off correct timing.
Btw anyone used a TDC finder to precisely measure if the TDC marks are accurate ?

G.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:56 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

88 750
90 906
92 907ie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:14 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:36 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

Attachments:
DSCF2138.JPG
DSCF2138.JPG [ 121.57 KiB | Viewed 13977 times ]
DSCF2139.JPG
DSCF2139.JPG [ 126.07 KiB | Viewed 13977 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:59 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

A couple of years ago I tried to learn more about cam & valve timings and collected lots of info from numerous sources. I meshed up many texts into one file. Most sources were in english so the file is, too. At a certain point or depth of an engine topic most sources begin with mathematical formulas. Tbh since that is when I begin to lose interest :roll: there isn't any of that. It was intended as a sort of work of reference for myself while trying to keep things understandable. If somebody is interested, here it is:
https://app.box.com/s/pst9p706lhf9nvrf8kzpm6kcr5zefayb

G.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next