[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
ducatipaso.org • View topic - The story so far
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:01 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The story so far
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:44 am 

model: 906 Paso
year: 1989
A few pics for the forum of my progress so far. I did have this on idle noise with a link to photobucket but Gerhard suggested I post it here for you to see.
I'll post some more after the mikuni conversion.

When I bought the 906 it was as stock as it could get. It had the original tyres, mufflers, etc, and a broken rear tail light. It hadn't been serviced in 35000kms and was on its 2nd set of cam belts!!!

Took all the fairings off and got to work. It had charging issues and had evidence of overcharging battery (paint damaged by acid on framework.) so out came the battery and put on charge. It went flat on the way home from buying it so reg. rect. was on my radar!

Replaced all cooling hoses as they were all brittle. Checked thermostat :thumbup: and water pump :thumbup:

I had to get creative with some of the fittings as, (as you're all aware) they don't make em anymore! I got this brass T piece from a pipe manufacturer down the road...should work!

As you know, when I pulled into my garage after purchase, coolant (brown water actually!) was dumped all over the floor. The neck of the expansion tank was split at the base. So rather than have one made from aluminum, I did the CBR600 radiator cap mod., which works a treat. Now the expansion tank is simply an overflow tank.

While I was waiting for chain and sprockets to arrive, I had the seat recovered

Seat wasn't staying put so I drilled out the hole in the back of the seat a bit and glued in the now obsolete muffler retaining bolt. Works mint.

Chain and sprockets finally arrive, but they sent the wrong rear :mad: Have since got the right one and will be fitted when I do the Mikuni conv.

Timing belts turfed and new ones fitted. I used the 5mm/6mm Allen key rule when fitting the new ones. The old ones were lots of years old and had done 35000kms...but didn't look too bad! No fraying or cracks which really surprised me :shock:

Rear taillight assembly out, lens fixed, globes replaced and rear mudguard trimmed up.

Got a set of Golden Tyres from Bike Tyre City for $630 fitted and balanced :shock: ouch! Great, great tyres though and allow me to keep 16" wheels with the right profile tyres. Replaced carrier bearing, all others ok. Now for a degrease and shampoo!

Changed engine oil, coolant, brake and clutch fluid and all filters. Cranked her over and fired her up. Holy %*!+ it's loud without mufflers :lol:

I bought a pair of used D&D mufflers off eBay from a super light but they came with no joiners (obviously) so I mocked one up using the airbox rubber inlet draught tubes and some cardboard and tape :truck:

All back together (naked) and round the block. Only charging battery (new one) to the tune of 12.3 volts. I have run a multi meter over all necessary wires, cleaned all earths so I'm thinking reg. rect. is definitely at fault. Off to Protwin!

Mitch at ProTwin replacing the faulty unit :thumbup: Now to get her back home, she's feeling a bit self conscious with no clothes!

All back together but I did run out of time and money so there are some things still on the to do list. I'll address these when I do the carb conv.

Modified the pipes from headers to mufflers to get the right angle but they didn't look too professional when finished so I wrapped them with heat bandage :thumbup:

New personalized reg. plates look the ducks :beer:

Last edited by lane1feathers on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: The story so far
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:29 am 

Yeh Lane myself and my son checked her out at ProTwin today looking good mate, i was down there getting spark plugs and the boys are busy but my Paso will be down there in the near future getting belts changed and a tune up. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:18 am 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:19 am 

Once you rested up from getting back give me a call. I rode mine down to freo yesterday but traffic was to heavy to open her up so it was not the best of rides and yeh my webber doesnt want to play nice in traffic.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:30 am 

Will do bud, look forward to it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:11 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992
Lovely bike!!!
Compliments.
Ciao :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:17 am 

Thanks Francesco, all the major things done to make her rideable but still a lot of work to be done to make me happy with her. The end result will be a long time coming, but I will enjoy the ride getting there (pardon the pun!) I will keep posting updates to keep you all in the loop of my progress. :beer:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:44 pm 

I had a bit of a grumble, turned out to be sprag clutch circlip had come out (wrong size, previous. owner) and crank support bearing was failing. All good now though :thumbup: :beer:

Going for a thrash with Harry tomorrow then she'll be parked up for Mikuni conv. and fork seals, new fuel & brake lines, and a couple of other bits and pieces and a good scrub beneath the skin.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:39 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992
good job Lane, when you look at the braided brake lines check out the ones from "hel", they have a good product which are tested to confirm to all international standards, and at a reasonable price.

ps: your and Harry's bikes are almost identical, nice pics :thumbup:

...long live the square framed duc!

'92 907...numero 2046
'92 851...in progress

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:44 pm 

model: 750 Sport
year: 1988
Nicely done mate :beer:

Cheers
Andrew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:39 pm 

I see your 906 still has the cast iron front rotors. I think you should give them a close inspection for signs of cracking. I have floating steel rotors with Carbon Lorraine sintered pads and they are amazing. Almost too sharp in the wet!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:51 am 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:34 pm 

They are made by a local engineering firm - Spondon - I'm sure you've heard of them. Trouble with cast iron is it's a 'slippery' metal and it takes a tremendous amount of pressure to make them work! A strange choice for rotor material. I have heard any amount of gripes for the 906 brake set-up but it is the rotor, trust me. I still have the standard 2-piston calipers and original brake lines (!!!) but with the Carbon-steel rotors and Bronze sintered pads I can do 2-finger stoppies at 80mph. The 750/906 should never have passed type approval with that OE junk.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:26 am 

A new set of floating discs is on the list. When funds allow :thumbup: Mine are free from cracks so will be fine for the time being. Thanks for the heads-up and the recommendation.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:04 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

year: 1990

88 750
90 906
92 907ie