[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
ducatipaso.org • View topic - alternative fuel pump
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 7:34 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: alternative fuel pump
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:08 pm 

model: 906 Paso
year: 1990
I would like to have another fuel pump in my shelf.

do you think is better to buy an original used fuel pump on ebay or a new alternative is available?

grazie

Post subject: Re: alternative fuel pump
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:15 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

model: 750 Paso
year: 1987
you could get a vacuum fuel pump from a Yamaha TDM/TRX or one from a Ducati Monster instead of an electric one. They work fine with the Weber. You only need to connect it to the underpressure connection on the carb manifold.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:56 pm 

sounds good....

do you have some codes / articles numbers / or similar ... just to never buy the wrong one... :-P

many thanks paso750, you are always ready to answer at every question posted...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:46 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

this is the Monster fuel pump

a picture from Lanes bike

the Yamaha TDM/TRX fuel pump which I prefer as it`s easier to mount and has all connections on one side

a pic from my bike

Monster pump left, Yamaha pump right. Both are made by Mikuni.

The advantage compared to the original fuel pump is that it doesn`t draw any power and there`s no need of a fuel pressure regulator.

G.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:03 pm 

I didn't known this kind of fuel pump...
do you think that buy an used one is a good choice?
g.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:07 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

model: 750 Sport
Vacuum fuel pumps are common in snowmobiles and jet skis, where the fuel tank is usually lower than the carb.

Edit - Oh, and chainsaws, and lawnmowers too. (though probably not enough volume for your Ducati)

Cheers,
Phil

2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.

Last edited by ducinthebay on Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:11 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

I`ve bought 5 used fuel pumps in the past. All are still in use and working. (Two in Australia, one in NZ and two in Germany). There`s not much that can break down on a vacuum pump. It´s just the membrane and if the pump is installed properly with a fuel filter before it there`s nothing to worry about.
I personally don`t have any concerns buying a used one.

Attachments:
benzinschmierung_Page_02_jpgKopie.jpg
benzinschmierung_Page_02_jpgKopie.jpg [ 34.21 KiB | Viewed 15442 times ]
Benzinpumpe.jpg
Benzinpumpe.jpg [ 65.87 KiB | Viewed 15442 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:53 pm 

sounds good, but only one more question: which pressure and flow they have or must have to work on a paso?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:07 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

I knew that but can`t remember at the moment. If you get the one from the Monster or the Yamaha you won`t have any issues on a Paso. The Yamaha TDM/TRX are 850cc 2 cylinder bikes and the fuel pump of the Monster was used on the 750 and 900CC engine.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:30 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

year: 1988
Very small pressure. 0.3 bar (4 P.S.I.) if I can remember correctly. In example, fuel pumps for elder Mini were ok or any made for carbed engines, 0.2(3 P.S.I.) or 0.5 (7 P.S.I.) can fit with no problem at all.
Anyway there's a big difference with EFI fuel pumps that work @5 bar or more (70 P.S.I.)

Black "DUKE" 751582
ex...Red "smooth" 753349 :-(

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:34 am 

So how do these vacuum pumps work? Where is the negative pressure draw coming from? I might have to try this. Did you just make a bracket and attach the pump to your frame? Ps i have the 750 Sport.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:42 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

The vacuum line is attached to the intake manifold. There may be a brass nipple threaded in on both of them. They may be tied together with a T, and run back to the Digiplex for vacuum advance. Add another T into the line, and run it to the vacuum pump. The pulses of the negative pressure activates the diaphragm to move back and forth, and there are two one way valves to make it a pump. Mount the vacuum pump where ever you can. Plenty of room on the Sport.

Cheers, Phil

2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:50 am 

model: intending to buy a Paso/Sport
year: 1985
Hi,looking for reassurance :shock: my bike is fitted with a pair of 900 ducati carbs from a monster I think, I presume that I will be able to use the fuel pump as well.

Cheers
Allan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:50 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

Allen, no idea why noone replied. The answer is yes, of course.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:15 am 

year: 1989
I would like to reopen this interesting thread.
Is it a recommendable upgrade for my 906 to replace the operational electric fuelpump (with return line) with a vacuum operated fuel pump? And if so what will I notice when I do this? At the moment my 906 runs pretty decent. No irritable flat spots, sputtering or other carb issues to be noted.
Cheers,
William