[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
ducatipaso.org • View topic - Tank Cleaning and Drain tubes
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:15 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Tank Cleaning and Drain tubes
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:34 am 

Got around to cleaning out tank the other day and it had lots of crud swimming in tank. When I took the fuelcap assembly off ,noticed that the rubber hose to cap assembly drain was not connected ,on further investigation found the housing drain blocked and also the metal drain tube within tank totally blocked, took a couple of hours with fine wire,(watch for sparks and evacuate buildings!) and a bike pump to clear line . The tank is now all clean and ready to line soon . Just a note for others to check their tank drain assembly.After that did a Fuel pump check and it is reading 3 Bar . Believe this is standard
Did a nut and bolt check and found front fairing /headlight frame mount bolt loose ,possibly another to check. If lining the tank I think that ;Remove all internals and make block off templates for all orifices , can someone out there give info on any other things to do ,Thanks ....Marty

Post subject: Re: Tank Cleaning and Drain tubes
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:01 am 

model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991
hiya Marty,

I lined mine about 2 years ago...with reasonable success..

I was lucky and got it just before the rust ate right through everywhere...
It had already bubbled the paint at the V where the tank meets the fairing and rear cover.
It had pin-holed under the tank in the same area - obviously the water which sits under the fuel collects at this point ( so does the rust scale) and the corrosion is worst at this point.

you'll need to:
take out all internals pump, degassator & fuel gauge assy
remove the fuel cap assy complete.
you need to make a flange out of 3 - 5mm neoprene rubber for both the cap and the fuel gauge attachment flange
protect any threads with lanolin grease - avoid the sheep if it winks at you...
flush with water to remove any remaining fuel & vapour
acid wash the internals - i used hydrochloric [pool acid] to remove the scale & gunk.
used about 1 litre of acid and swill it around then flush...you'll be surprised at how much crap comes out!!!
HAVE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF WATER AVAILABLE.
HAVE A BUCKET OF WATER CLOSE BY FOR SPLASHES / SPILLS
Repeat as necessary to satisfactory clean...add salt to taste...lol

at the end of all this blow out the drains & lines with compressed air - BE CAREFUL - it's concentrated acid
in my case the pin holes under ended up the size of a 10 cent piece and needed to be taped up, I used some exhaust tape for this...

I'm not sure what you're using as a liner...
I used 1/2 a litre of Megapoxy.
I thinned the first coat of Megapoxy with methylated spirits (as recommended) so it gets a good "bite"...
the next coat was just Megapoxy
keep rotating the taank so you get a reasonble coat all over inside
the setting and cure time will depend on the temperature - if it's cold allow at least 12 hours to be around for rotates...
in my case I wanted to fill up the V in the bottom (to be sure) so I have a very thick coat in the bottom...

the results were good but I can't guarantee the process
I must admit I fitted a new tank a few months later...I just did the lining as an interim until the new tank arrived from the states...

as a side note - the water will get in the tank even if the drain is fitted correctly
when the tank is low, condensation from moist air will get in - no matter what...
and (just to fuck you over more) the fuel that you put in actually has moisture in it - so even if you are meticulous you will still get some water...
You can add metho to the tank to clean the water out but there are opinions that metho is bad for fuel hoses...and more water will get in...

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:59 am 

Thanks Laddie,
Will be using POR 15 ,Uses own prep system,Same process as you described I imagine, good tip on the actual vent/drain tubes cleaning, the tank internally seems fairly clean and no visible rust,(can't see round corners though).
I have some of the neoprene rubber to cut out as mentioned. I will do the job soon as I am taking the bike on a winter trek north at end of the month to go Opal fossicking in NSW for a week. Just had the belts checked and valves shimmed ,so she's set to go.
When I get back and get it done I'll post results , thanks on the advice. Cheers Marty

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:11 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

I am using also POR 15 in close times with m y 907IE fuel tank... Tank is empty from all stuff already, but no time yet to put POR 15 stuffs inside ... close days, close days............... :smoke:

Paso 907IE -91 red/metal grey
Paso 907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:28 pm 

Waiting.. Waiting.. Waiting......
Drinking .....Drinking .......Drinking .......................................................
Thinking...............................................Thinking ...................................Thinking...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
But not forgetting.

Its Still Good

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:11 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

Dont drink to much! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: U have to wait......

Paso 907IE -91 red/metal grey
Paso 907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:01 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019