[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
ducatipaso.org • View topic - clutch screech
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 11:35 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: clutch screech
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:29 pm 

model: 907 I.E.
year: 1993
Well, today I heard a new sound which consisted of a screech for a second or two whenever I engage or disengage the clutch. I have never done a clutch on a motorcycle, but I hear it is a lot easier than a car. The cluch is supposed to be new as i just got the bike a month ago and the old owner said he just changed it, and I do trust him as he is a friend of mine. Could it just be the throwout bearing? It does it in neutral, or while driving in any gear. :banghead:

Post subject: Re: clutch screech
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:16 am 

year: 1991
..haven't had this problem on a Ducati but had similar on a Chrysler...

if it happens under light clutch pressure (initial engagement) it's probably the thrust bearing...
the noise is the bearing spinning from stationary up to clutch speed with the clearance in the bearing permitting vibration. [or you can look at as the bearing slowing from clutch speed back down to push rod speed]
It usually happens if the bearing is dry - and doesn't mean the bearing is stuffed.
The noise should go away if clutch pressure is increased - which will decrease the clearance.
It only needs a small amount of high pressure / high temp wheel bearing grease...
don't over-pack it; excess lube may find it's way into the dry clutch plates.

while you're at it check the ends of the push rod for a smear of lube too..
I'd be inclined to check the slave cylinder bearing is OK, too...if the slave cylinder bearing is seized the push rod may not spin up easily...

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:59 am 

Didn't think it would take you long to answer post Laddie. Antti must be asleep.
I had a similar problem a little while ago, although mine was on take off.
I just pulled clutch out and cleaned and light sanded all the plates ,drum etc. and it seemed to cure it this stage.
The job was fairly easy and took about an hour or two, with drink breaks, dehydration is a constant form of thirst in this neck of the woods!
I suppose most paso persons are onto the battery drill / allen key combo at light tourque settings to get plastics on and off with flair and gusto, if not, its a recommended safe and quick way to go about it, got the grandkids doing it now as most times I have to sort the fridge out.
If new clutch fitted though it seems as though Laddie is onto the most reasonable cure at this stage. Hope you sort it with minimum fuss.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:01 am 

sometimes diagnosing or trouble-shooting a problem over the internet is a bit hard..and can lead to giving a lot of advice about something that wasn't the fault. You can make dumb assumptions like there is oil in a gearbox, air in the tyres, fluid in master cylinders or that the bike actually ran in the last year or so...and that they've isolated the problem to the clutch because it only happens during clutch operation...and not towing a caravan.

Dry clutches are prone to a few extra squeeks, rattles and clinks...and you need to consider someone's idea of death knocks is someone else's fine tuned engine / transmission. I hope I interpreted the question / problem the right way. Generally a dry thrust bearing will heat up a bit and the squeel goes away...and returns next morning.
If it squeels all the time it might need a further look.
I'd start with the slave cylinder and push rod - it's only a 20 minute job and proves / disproves one side; easier than the whole clutch. I'd even try listening with a contact screwdriver...

It's possible the plates could squeal but would be irregular for a new clutch...and there should be some noticeable slipping or heavy shifting associated with dragging or warped plates...

anyway - it's nice to get feedback after the repair to know what the problem turned out to be...guess we'll see what happens...

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:59 pm 

Well thanks guys. The problem turned out to be big yet small. Whomever did the clutch, and it was actually a reputable ducati dealership failed to tighten the gland nut down properly. It is the large bolt actually that holds the clutch basket to the crankshaft. It loosened enough for all of the springs to acually rub on the inside of the clutch cover. But I dove in last night, and realized how simple the clutch is on one of these. My plates were getting a little thin, so I ordered up a new clutch anyway. I found a reasonably priced barnett for about 150 usd shipped. Thanks for the help guys. :) :)

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:16 am 
Hi

Had the same problem myself a little while ago. Just make sure that you torque the centre bolt up to the recommended setting. From memory, it is about 130 lb/ft, but all the torque settings are listed on the downloads available on this forum.

I needed to borrow the clutch holding tool from my local friendly ducati dealer, as I could not hold the basket still for the required pressure any other way. If you do not torque up to this amount, it just spins undone again, and the screech is repeated.

Hope all goes well

Bryn

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:57 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

Loctite and compressed air pressure wrench is very good combination for that bolt.... :smoke: no need exact torque..... That is enough and then it can still open with heating nut and then again compressed air wrench.... Allways worked fine in my bikes! Surely need special tool to keep basket in right position, but such tool is very easy to make with welding old metal plates from clutch klt together and weld handle to it... :thumbup:

Paso 907IE -91 red/metal grey
Paso 907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:01 pm 

I am devastated I was wrong...lol

I would have figured the screws / springs would have contacted at all times while the clutch was depressed...not just for a second or two...

anyway, glad it was an easy fix...if not cheap.
I'm surprised you still needed to replace the clutch plates if the work was recently done.

all's well now you're back on the road...

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:11 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

1994 Bimota DB2
1988 MegaPaso 916 project
1987 Ducati Paso 750
1985 Harley FXEF
2001 Ducati M900ie (wife's)
2000 Yamaha YZF-R1 (wife's)
1998 Ducati ST2 (wife's)
1994 Suzuki GSX-750R (wife's)

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:43 pm 

thankyou gouys again for the help. I am replacing the clutch mostly due to the fact that the teeth on the clutch plates are actually becoming notched arond the teeth on the basket, there is now about a quarter inch of play, which you can hear and feel it when you let off the throttle or get back on it.