[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
ducatipaso.org • View topic - Paso Dual Headlight Conversion
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:08 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Paso Dual Headlight Conversion
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:47 pm 

model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Ducati Paso Dual Headlight Conversion:

This conversion utilizes the spare fuse location in the Paso fuse block. It also reworks the Euro headlight switch to allow a single low beam or dual low beam operation. Disassembling the Euro headlight switch is not for the faint of heart, there are spring loaded balls inside and wires that need relocating. The alternative is to add an external switch to the handle bars.
The headlamp assembly that fits the Paso is Yamaha P/N 1LJ-84303-A0-00, it sells for about $135 plus shipping , here is the site I purchased from: ... /home.aspx . The models it fits are Yamaha 86 FZ750S, 87 FZ700T & TC, and 88 FZ750U if you are searching for one used. The front housing is actually the same as the Paso if you find a housing with a broken ear. New ones come with 35 watt bulbs that you can replace with 55 watt H4 bulbs. Some spacers may be required at the top two mounting points if you run out of adjustment down.
A bracket needs to be fabricated to mount 3 relays. The high beams can share a relay, but independent low beam relays are required if single headlight operation is desired for minimizing battery drain. The bracket can use the horn mounting bolt to mount the relay bracket. Care must be taken to dress the cabling in the tight space behind and under the headlight.

Post subject: Re: Paso Dual Headlight Conversion
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:11 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

Result with fairings looks quite similar, what i have done to my 750 Paso and to another 907IE :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Paso 907IE -91 red/metal grey
Paso 907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:44 am 

It's the way Ducati should have gone. When I saw pictures of the dual headlight conversion on this site, I had to do it! Anti, your bike dying on the road convinced me to put a battery minder in and make sure I could run with just a single headlight so I don't drain the battery. It's fine off idle for staying charged. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:33 am 

year: 1992
What a great mod, and as you say it looks right. Can you please repost the link to the retailer? I can't make the one above work, and the cheapest I can find atm is $220. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:10 am 

The link was for www.babbitsonline.com. The 2006 price was $132, todays price is $228.
Yikes! Well this part is going on 23 years old. The other option is used or just order the back insert and use the Ducati shell.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:55 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

Thx f sharing, shelboss! :)

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:28 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

Paso 907IE -91 red
ST2 -01 red/metal grey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:44 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:07 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

Sorry, my mistakes, early ST2 give 420W (not 450W, as i mentioned). and later ST2 give 520W (not 550W, as i mentioned) :wink: please forgive me :banghead:

I dont have early ST2, so i cant say what is difference, but i quess, that measurements are different. Anyway early ST looks closer 907 system, as later ST2 rotor was flywheel(!!!).

Also later ST2 have totally anotherkind system, as early ST2 had. Those early ST2 had huge amount of regulator and stator failures. I wouldnt think ever put early ST2 system to 907, as here in human life is already enough troubles.... :mrgreen:

Differences between ST2 models can be found from workshop manuals:

1998 ST2 side 230.
2002 ST2 side 258.

Paso 907IE -91 red
ST2 -01 red/metal grey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:16 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

1994 Bimota DB2
1988 MegaPaso 916 project
1987 Ducati Paso 750
1985 Harley FXEF
2001 Ducati M900ie (wife's)
2000 Yamaha YZF-R1 (wife's)
1998 Ducati ST2 (wife's)
1994 Suzuki GSX-750R (wife's)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:04 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:26 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

Paso 907IE -91 red
ST2 -01 red/metal grey

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:30 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

The picture of Gert is a very old 750 round case bevelhead. it sure has 2 phase, but by all means it isn't a ST2.

ducbertus

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:47 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:59 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

model: 906 Paso
year: 1990
There are in fact two differences in the 97 and 98 ST2 stators and all the Paso's.
First is the ST2 stator is not a split wire(3 wire,2 phase-coils wired in parallel) like the Paso's. The ST2 uses one wire for the entire winding( coils wired in series-single phase).
The second appears to be the addition of an oil slinger in the ST2 to help keep it cool.

As far as the regulators go the electrosport and electrix regulators are the same for both the 97/98 St2 and the Paso's In other words you can use the same regulator for single or 2 phase stators since the windings are separated by 90 degrees in the 2 phase..Keep in mind the single phase setup will produce more heat at the stator and the regulator which is why the 97/98 ST2 had issues

The later 3 phase ST2 stator need additional diodes so requires a different regulator.

You guys are correct in that the later 3 phase ST2 stators require a different rotor and a different crank.
Also the cover is different and the flywheel and I believe the gears are all changed as the magnets rotate around the outside of the stator 99+ St2 not inside like the Paso's so It would be a very big deal to go that route. I don't really see any reason for everything not to bolt up other than the crankshaft change.

So it appears the mod will require the addition of the updated oil slinger from the ST2.
Larger wiring between the stator and the battery or regulator depending on how you decide to hook them up and which style regulator you use.
Moving the regulator to avoid the heat issues of the ST2

It appears I can mod the Paso stator to the ST2 style with a simple refit of the wiring changing it from 320 watts to 420.

I am thinking about changing the hookup on my spare stator from this
Before:Paso two phase style
____|--------white
/
\
/
\____
____|--------red-B+
/
\
/
\____|--------white

After:ST2( 97/98)single phase style

____|--------white
/
\
/
\
| ____|-------white
| /
| \
| /
| \____
|________|-------red-B+

What do you think ? From what I can figure out this is what Ducati did for the early ST2 to increase the output of the stator. If i understand this the higher resistance of the of the single phase will allow for a higher wattage as the voltage will go up but the amperage will go down. The down side to this would be additional heat at the regulator and the stator as well as more vibration at the crank from the additional moment in the rotor/stator assembly and possibly voltage spike issues for the ECU. I don't think the voltage spike will be an issue for the 906 but may be for the 907.

88 750
90 906
92 907ie