[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
ducatipaso.org • View topic - Better starting behavior?
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 11:11 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Better starting behavior?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:01 pm 

model: 750 Paso
year: 1992
Hi,

some time ago we had a thread here regarding some special heavy duty iring/harness for better engine-starting behavior.

I can`t find it now.
Who knows what i mean?

:D

Cheers,
Johannes

86` Ducati 750 Paso
96` Cagiva 750 AC Elefant

Post subject: Re: Better starting behavior?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:48 pm 

model: 907 I.E.
This:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4130&hilit=starter+upgrade

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:25 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

year: 1991
Hello Johannes,

upgrading starting behavior is not difficult.
1) battery in perfect condition?
2) connectors of starterrelais not corroded? the rubber booth is famous for collecting water, ergo soaking the relais
3) startermotor itself in good condition? brushes, connectors
4) improving the leads from battery, everything to starter moter and very important from engine (rear side left) to the battery.
I use grounding leads from welding equipment. this is very flexible and ment for high current use. cross-section should be 16 mm2 of 25. for this I bought a high pressure hydraulic crimping tool.
5) you can replace the 70 Amp Hitachi relais by an 150 Amp relais of a tail gate lift unit. ( costed my a mere € 20) A friend of me used this relais on a 1000S2 bevelhead twin and was stunned by the result.

6) further I've an article from Laverda-guys replacing the 2 brush stator plate by a 4-brush plate. combine this with an additional internal ground lead out of the starter motor and you'll end up with an 907 starting up before you can press the starter button fully. :D

Bertus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:22 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

...long live the square framed duc!

'92 907...numero 2046
'92 851...in progress

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:33 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

year: 1994
Hi Bertus, I'm aware of most of the starter improvement points you mention but have never heard of fitting a high current relay. What a good idea. Why didn't think of that?
I'm most intrigued by the 4 brush conversion though have you got any details of this?

1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)

Scotland

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:44 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

year: 1987
I`m wondering, why would a different relay make a difference ?
I can understand there may be others more reliable or the fact that`s it`s better just because it`s new but not really why it would have an impact on starting power.

G.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:54 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

Hi Paso,

It's not the current rate that makes it interesting.
basically 70 Amp will do.
problem is that over time the internal contact points are deteriorating (burning in) and increase the resistance over time.
A friend of mine who owns a Bevelhead 1000 S2 started much better after installing a new relay.
This relay is quit a lump, but 150 Amp. for € 200 is pretty cheap.

Bertus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:11 pm 

year: 1988
I've put this out there before but in the interest of helping others, I will again.

I did go through a few things on my bike to hopefully improve starting, one being changing out the relay. I'd done coils which solved a plug fouling issue on the horizontal cylinder, but starting continued to plague me. I feel fortunate I never hurt the electronics, or wore out the starter or sprag with all the jumps, charging, or starting attempts.

I later switched to a yamaha relay match, but it did not improve starting by much at all. I found my 88's issue to be dirty and corroded contacts in the start button and off/on/off switch. If you're having problems those might be one first place to look.

You could sort out the wiring loom somewhere along the way and check across them. I just removed the switches from the bar and tested with a meter for voltage drop across the connection points there. The drop was the greatest at the switches, when compared to all other points in the start/ignition circuit. Cleaning them was my solution.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:49 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

sorry, the relay was a mere € 20, and much cheaper than anytnign else.

But, as streetfighther statet, run through the circuits, measure and clean. this already solves a lot of problems.

Bertus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:26 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

I have had a great improvement in the starting behavior just replacing the stock battery with an Odyssey.
Really, a click on the start button is always enough.
Ciao

Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:27 pm 

ALWAYS hold the clutch lever in. Makes the engine work a lot less when starting.

Sometimes the simple things are the most effective, like a decent battery.

Roger

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:14 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

fully agree with the battery, or battery type, being the N:1 step for a better starting bike, i would never go back to lead acid again.
start the bike in neutral with a bit of accellerator advance (choke...but not a choke)...cold start, one, or two seconds, no problems :thumbup:

...long live the square framed duc!

'92 907...numero 2046
'92 851...in progress

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:43 pm 

I got a brand new battery in there.
And it started very well.
But now, it turns the crankshaft, turns and turs and turns, i`ve got sparking plugs, wet plugs, but it dos not fire up :-(

86` Ducati 750 Paso
96` Cagiva 750 AC Elefant

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:33 pm 

year: 1988

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:01 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

907 coils are fed over a relay, directly from the battery.
as Joking stated, there's enough juice in the battery
but maybe there is a faulty connector in the circuit. by measuring the voltage (+) on the coil you get an idea of the voltage drop. I would say 0.5 Volt is acceptable. more would make me suspicious.
Joking, you say you have sparks, remove the sparkplugs, cranck the engine for some time with the spark plugs out and the kill switch in off. doing so the motor get's dry inside. heat the plugs and mount them. start the engine wihout choke, but gently open throttle while starting.
what is the condition of your injectors and pressure in the petrol system?
if the pressure is too low., you get larger droplets of fuel and with low temps she refuses to start.

Bertus