[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
ducatipaso.org • View topic - Anodized fork clamps for 907?
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 10:44 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Anodized fork clamps for 907?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:20 am 

model: 750 Paso
year: 1992
Hi,

my fork clamps (i hope they are called like that) are not good looking.
The anodized surface is scratched, the black is worn.

How can i make them looking good again?

As an alternative: New parts are not available.
Has someone a goog looking set lying around?

86` Ducati 750 Paso
96` Cagiva 750 AC Elefant

Post subject: Re: Anodized fork clamps for 907?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:52 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

year: 1987
Johannes,

you could get it to an anodizer and let them put it in an acid bath or whatever they use to remove the anodizing. I would not have it glas or mediablasted as this could result in a slightly rougher surface. When the anodizing is removed sand the parts to get rid of the scratches. Note that a rough surface will become flat black when anodizing. The finer the surface roughness the glossier the result will be. To get it shiny you need to sand with differend grade papers up to a very high grade like min 600 or 800. For the very best result polish the part then.
I did this in the past weeks for a friend. He had triple clamps machined. I started of with 240 and 400 grit to remove all machining marks and then went on with 600, 800, 1200, 2000 and then polished with 2 different polishing discs and polishes. The last run was with AUTOSOL. I took a few hours but the result was well worth it.
Anodizing black is a little tricky as surface changes will influence the colour and shine so it`s possible to generate "clouds" if you don´t prepare the part well. But that´s only if you want it shiny. An even flat or semi glossy result is not that critical. Other colours like silver neither. The material itself can also impact the result which is not an issue unless you´re a perfectionist and are combining newly machined parts with old refurbished ones. :truck:
Parts which anodizing layer is etched off or mediablasted will usually not become more than semi glossy.
These days I will pick up the surrounding bracket of his instrument panel which I brushed with 600 grit to get it less glossy but not flat black. I`m curious about the result. Will post it when I have it here.

Are you sure the original black parts are not powdercoated or painted ?

G.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:42 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

model: 907 I.E.
the original black paint on the triple clamp is very poor, a long while back, I removed the clamp and the bars, cleaned them up with a fine file then got the lot powder coated and it still looks good :beer:

that is a good...perfect...polishing job, but it would be very difficult to do with the 907 clamp, as it has that strengthening ridge along its perimeter...back then I thaught of getting it milled leaving the ridge, but never did, powder coating may not be the perfectionist's choice, but its by far the easiest option :thumbup:

...long live the square framed duc!

'92 907...numero 2046
'92 851...in progress

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:35 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

year: 1987
Powdercoating is for sure one of the easiest ways to get a nice result and it can even be done if the surface is slightly roughened by mediablasting as the layer is thicker. Deep scratches should be removed though as in many cases they will become more noticable then before.

Polishing the original Paso upper triple clamp is not that hard, the problem will be to prepair/sand it before. All those small edges will make one go mad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:32 pm 

It is anodized. The layer is much too thin for paint or powder.

86` Ducati 750 Paso
96` Cagiva 750 AC Elefant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:51 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

Can it be just same "black chrome", as original Paso 750 exhaust pipes? Maybe also 907IE grab handdle have same coating?

Paso 907IE -91 red/metal grey
Paso 907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:26 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

model: 750 Sport
year: 1990
Its not anodize. and its not powder coat. Its just plain old wet coat paint. Thats why it doesn't hold up well. The silver ones are anodized, the black ones are just paint. Put some strong solvent on it and your rage will show black.

Stripping them, and anodizing or powder coat are certainly good options. If you powder coat, make sure you mask the holes for the forks and steering stem.

Cheers

2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:00 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

model: 906 Paso
year: 1990
POR-15 Chassis Black durable,easy and looks original :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

if only it was cheap :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

also you can learn how to anodize here

88 750
90 906
92 907ie