[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
ducatipaso.org • View topic - rear tyres 180/55x17?
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: rear tyres 180/55x17?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:22 am 

model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991
Hi

about to buy new tyres; Michelin Road Pilot 4.

the RP4 come in 3 models, STD, GT, Trail, the treads all look the same on the web.

Std come in a 180/55x17 vs 170/60x17 which is the OEM size

I can get RP4 GT in the OEM size of 170/60x17.

My question is, has any one tried a 180 wide tyre? Does it fit, any negative or positive experiences?

regards
Nigel

91 907IE - full restoration
91 907IE Red, Wilbers, Staintune Conti, Corbin,
MPL Slipper,Ceramic exhaust

Lambretta LI150 S3
87 928S4

http://www.paolopirozzi.com/it/ - around the world on a Multistrada

907, its not a bike , its a cult

Post subject: Re: rear tyres 180/55x17?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:57 am 

year: 1992
Hi Nigel.

I had a 180/55 on the back of the 907 when I purchased it. The rear shock at some stage was knackered, so the 180/55 tyre went up and wore through the guard. I have since fitted a 170/60. The old 180/55 tyre didn't feel as good to ride on. It wasn't overly worn either.

Cheers.

Nick.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:53 am 

thanks Nick
me thinks 170/60 is the way to go.

You'd be better off with a solid tyre up in Broome ay?
I cant imagine you wearing the edges out around there!! Have you ridden the 907 on the dirt much?

For our Northern friends you should google Broome. Its a stunning part of Australia, on the border of the Pilbarra area [my favourite] & the majestic North west Kimberly region.
Pretty isolated, you drive 800 km south to the next big town, Karratha on 'almost' straight roads, and then go north for a coupe of days to get to Katherine.
Not many tourists go there, but that whole area is just stunning.

Lambretta LI150 S3
87 928S4

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:20 am 

year: 1990
the 180 is permitted officially by Ducati.

Years ago I Asked them if it could be fitted and they issued me the "nulla osta" a letter confirming the fitment which is a legal requirement to get the new size marked on the bike Logbook; In ITALY this is necessary as without it the bike would not pass the Italian MOT with the different tire size.

As far as I know Ducati (or any othe manufacturer) would never issue the Legal document if the modification is not approved by their technical department.

As far as the tyre choice is concerned, unfortunately, the 170 limits the range of available possibilities.

I found myself strugglying to find a nice soft Pirelli, I then changed to Dunlops (Qualifier) and I have to say the bike rides VERY VERY well (dunlop's front tire profile is "quicker")

I have not fitted the 180 yet, but I will when it comes the day I cannot find a sport tyre in the 170 range

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:31 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

Isn't 160-180 legal on a 5,5" wheel?

180 makes it steer slower, 170 better.
PR & 907 lovely match.

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:50 pm 

year: 1990

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:16 am 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:13 pm 

ah yes, Port Headland! duh Nigel. I worked on a prawn trawler out of Point Samson in 92 [i think], as I drove around Oz in a Kombi....
I went to Millstream NP. I would love to go back on a bike [dirt] and tour around. Whats a TonofAir? I had a Dominator set up for it years ago, but just never went!
Ok , plenty of grey nomads, but overseas tourists rarely go there compared to the east coast is what I meant.
Forget the GOR these days, 80kph all the way, the local DOCV does a ride every second week. I like doing the Snowy Ride, take a few days to go camping on the bike riding the Alpine hills.
ciao

Lambretta LI150 S3
87 928S4

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:27 am