[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
ducatipaso.org • View topic - Battery question
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Battery question
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:19 am 

model: 907 I.E.
year: 1993
I haven't rode my motorcycle in 2 weeks when i went to go start it up dead battery. So... The battery is 2.5 months old.... Did the clock drain the battery ?

2Nd question.... When the bike is running what should the voltage read coming back to the battery from the charging system.... ?

Post subject: Re: Battery question
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:58 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

model: 750 Sport
year: 1990
Yes, the clock on the 907 will kill your battery. Pull the fuse, or disconnect it. there is a thread that describes what trace to cut on the dash flex circuit. Need to keep the Paso on a trickle charge.

Voltage at the battery should be about 13.4 volts when fully charging.

Cheers, Phil.

2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:38 am 

year: 1993
seems kinda crazy that the clock can kill the battery in 7 days ....

if i put my volt meter on the terminals while the bike is running I should read 13.7 volts ? correct

if not , then what do i need to replace on the bike ...?

thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:51 am 

year: 1992
The voltage will change depending on the RPM. At idle it will sit around 12.5 volts, and by about 3000 RPM will be up to around 13.5 - 14.0 volts. It shouldn't get any higher than 13.8 or there abouts, but plus or minus 0.2 volts isn't too bad. I wouldn't panic if it was little bit over 14 volts, but if it hit 14.5 or above, then you have an issue with the regulator. If it doesn't go up at all, then the regulator or the Stator is shot. There are a few posts about Regulators and what type etc etc. Different batteries take different charging patterns too. The 907 was built around a Lead/Acid battery. There are now all sorts, wet, sealed, AGM to name a few. I have had a Motobatt AGM battery in mine since I purchased it, and just replaced it with another Motobatt. The original lasted a bit over 3 years, and would still be good now, but that is another story. As a rule, if I don't think I will be riding it for 3 or 4 days, I disconnect the -ve terminal (the shed doesn't have power). Saves time and energy!

The bonus of an analogue clock is they take power to run. Others have replaced the Analogue with an LCD type if you would like to give that a crack?

Cheers.

Nick.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:37 am 

model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:49 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

model: 906 Paso

88 750
90 906
92 907ie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:31 am 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:49 am 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:14 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

The clock shouldn`t draw so much power that the battery is flat after a week or two. Imho there`s something wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:13 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

model: 750 Sport
That's the way mine is. If the clock is running, the trickle charger will never keep up. I unplug the fuse when not in use.

Cheers, Phil.

2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:09 pm 

Alarm, clock and general Italian electrics.....

Plug it into an optimate charger whenever you are not using it. I got fed up replacing batteries - a charger is actually cheaper than a battery!

The clock on mine would not drain the battery in less than 10 - 12 days but the dreaded alarm does in less than a week. So combining the two which I have is hopeless !

Optimate (others are available) is the solution.