[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
ducatipaso.org • View topic - 907ie wiring modification confusion
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:48 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 907ie wiring modification confusion
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:51 pm 

model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991
I was about to do the wiring mod that involves adding a relay to isolate the ignition switch from the main power. This:
https://app.box.com/s/64zvqpl6sf303gt44wu6

The images and comments below illustrate my confusion. There are various versions of this mod description scattered around the forums. Most are unclear about how to wire this relay. I found one write up regarding the Paso 750 that I thought spelled it out:
http://www.desmodemon.com/paso_project_5.html

Maybe this is obvious, but, as usual, it wasn't to me, and the description linked in the 907ie FAQ could mislead someone who is electrically challenged, like me.

Carry on.

Attachments:
File comment: The main diagram of the mod in the 907ie FAQ link shows the new relay, with pins not marked.
relayunmarked.png
relayunmarked.png [ 16.32 KiB | Viewed 12790 times ]
File comment: The next page in the 907ie mod link has an image of a relay with conventional pin wiring. However, I don't think this is how the relay should be wired in this case.
relayasshown.png
relayasshown.png [ 45.82 KiB | Viewed 12790 times ]
File comment: An image from a document in the Paso 750 area called [b]The Paso Project [/b]seems to show the correct wiring pattern, although you don't need a 5 pin relay. This page, middle diagram:

http://www.desmodemon.com/paso_project_5.html

relaypaso750.png
relaypaso750.png [ 41.88 KiB | Viewed 12790 times ]

Post subject: Re: 907ie wiring modification confusion
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:10 pm 

year: 1992
Hi Bill.

The relay is going in to take the load (current) off the ignition switch. The contact of the ignition switch cops the brunt of it, with everything except the starter current going through them. I don't known what the current rating of the switch contact is, but they were designed and built in the 90's using that era material. The contact rating of a relay can vary, and even the standard car relay can handle 10 to 15 amps with little trouble. The idea of the mod is to use the crap contacts of the switch to turn on the relay contacts, which then has the capacity to run the bike. The coil resistance of a car coil is relatively high, so current required to make and hold the relay is low, which takes the pressure off the ignition switch.

Hope this helps as an explanation. If you need a bit more info, drop me a pm or another post here.
Cheers
Nick.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:09 am 

Great stuff, Nick. Can you confirm the wiring of the relay is as shown in the last image and not the one in the actual 907ie file?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:41 am 

year: 1992

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:28 pm 

Oh, so it will work either way. My electrically challenged mind finally sees that. In retrospect, it seems obvious. Sorry to be polluting the forum with my confusion. You spelled things out so even I could understand it. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:13 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

model: 906 Paso
year: 1990
The whole point of the forum is to ask ,and when you do 3 other blokes read the answer and "get it " too.......so it all helps

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:54 pm 

Yes, now I see it is a bit odd that the Paso 750 document shows 30 swapped with 87, but I get that it makes no practical difference.

And Nick, thanks for the idea of using one of the unused spots on the exiting fuse box.

And one other questions... What would be "the proper sized wire" for the power wire in this case?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:40 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

There is a minimum size , and most manufacturers hit that every time . I use 4mm for heavy stuff like headlights and coils and charging system , and 2.5mm for the rest . The idea being that the larger the cross sectional area of the conductor the less voltage drop .
I use one relay for the main relay but the second is for the coils and magic box ..... I have 2 more up front for the hi low beams ........probly a bit of over kill :)

Attachments:
DSC01621.JPG
DSC01621.JPG [ 120.59 KiB | Viewed 12743 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:18 am 

Oh, the coils. I saw that the "Paso 750 Project" included a relay for them as well. I believe the 907ie ignition relay covers that. I'll check.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:31 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

Yeah , I keep forgetting the 907 is different there so,probly not needing a relay for that

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:00 pm 

95 748

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:50 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:22 pm