[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
ducatipaso.org • View topic - Hand clutches
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 11:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Hand clutches
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:48 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

model: 906 Paso
year: 1990
Hi , D day is upon me ,getting right leg chopped off ,upper thigh ,on 19th Nov.
I have a Ford Capri which has 3.9l Rover V8 and 5 speed but being deficient in the leg dept will leave me without enough feet to drive a manual ( stick for you Trump worshipers ) and I went some way down the auto trans (sludge box ) route by adapting a ZF 4hp22 out of a BMW ....and ...well sludge boxes have their place ,but not in a sports coupe, so I an swinging back to the 5 speed way . I was always going to have to convert my car's to a left foot accelerator for the auto , but then I got to thinkin that a motorbike clutch master cylinder attached to the manual gear stick , in theory ,could be the answer. Any of you guys seen this sort of thing before? Probly have to run a booster but then I saw a twin plate 7 1/2" clutch set up ( goes with an ally flywheel :cool: ) and I figure they might have a lighter action....end of the day the Mrs has to be able to drive it too ,she has formidable fore sight and got in with this demand before I had even realised the potential opportunity to get her out of it perminantly ....lead footed bitch doesn't need that much Ned under the welly :lol:

Post subject: Re: Hand clutches
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:39 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

Been a long road for you with the leg.condolences. Planning a memorial ?
On the clutch have you considered an electric clutch setup ?

88 750
90 906
92 907ie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:22 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

model: 907 I.E.
year: 1994
Sorry hear that it's come to that. I've been hearing about your struggle for the last 8 years or so since I joined this forum and I'm amazed that you've managed to keep so upbeat. I hope it works out for you.

1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)

Scotland

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:24 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

Hi Higgy , :) . Somebody else suggested an electric clutch but it was such an "on or off" thing I couldn't see how you'd get the car rolling without laying rubber. Something more like a radio control model servo would be better . I can't help thinking that a hydraulic set up ,even with a booster would have more feel , but not sure just how important that is . I have been driving normally with no feeling at all in my right foot for years now ,took a bit of getting used to, specially if the radio is loud enough that I can't hear the engine as I rely on that to tell me that my right foot is indeed pressing on the accelerator so I can time the release of the clutch to get moving
Any how I will have a look for an electric clutch. I spose the biggest hurdle is that I have to pay for this myself ( no insurance for that ) so whatever I end up with has to be reasonable price wise
Life ain't so bad tho ,my crook leg is only a small part of life and while I would rather be whole but not having to work and still getting paid 80% of my salary ain't all bad and my insurance co (Acc) has paid out over $800k in medical bills while I been pottering in my shed or renovating my house , now I ain't saying it was worth it but it's closer than you may think :D . The thing I miss the most ( apart from riding my Paso :roll: ) is not being able to grab a rifle or fishing rod and go find something for tea , soft/rough ground and crutches don't mix ,specially if I'm trying to carry something as well. Ladders are out. ( I bought some scaffolding that I can scramble up on ) but I can still do most things , just takes longer :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:43 pm 

model: 750 Paso
year: 1986
Hi Hamish,

What about the other way? Leave the clutch as it is (left foot for clutch and brake) but have a hand throttle (Tommaselli on the steering column), suit you sir?
Sent you a PM.
Cheers,
Fraser.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:18 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

Yeah , I thought that too Fraser but you would have to have one hand on the throttle all the time where as a hand clutch on the gear lever means you would only have to handle the lever the same as now except your doing 2 things with left hand